Frequently asked questions
At Mxit we’re always looking to solve problems. In fact we like to provide answers even before any questions are asked. Browse our list of frequently asked questions, with step by step instructions and other useful information about this mobile social network. We hope that it will help you unlock the realm of Mxit.
Top Safety tips
- 1Don’t share personal information with strangers. This includes profile info, ID numbers, personal details or photographs. If your child is using Mxit set their privacy settings on Mxit to ensure only their approved contacts can see their personal information. User identity remains anonymous when users interact in a (public) Chat Zone.
- 2Mxit does not condone anti-social behaviour or explicit sex talk in chatrooms. All chatrooms contain profanity filters and are moderated daily, with extensive moderator presence available in all Teen Zones. If you don’t want your child participating in chat rooms simply install the chat room blocking feature (see Mxit / Info [situated on Mxit’s login menu] / Chat Zone Block).
- 3A user can set up their own chatroom with their friends and password-protect it. This ensures that access is by invitation only – and after 36 hours of inactivity the room will shut down.
- 4Typing in a “.rat” command from a Mxit chat room allows a user to report any abuse they may experience. Mxit then receives the authority to see the last 30 strings of this conversation and will follow up within six to 12 working/office hours on these reports received.
- 5Defamatory material circulating on Mxit must be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 6We have a zero tolerance policy towards cyber bullying. If you or your child is exposed to cyber bullying, they can email email@example.com
- 7If you or your child would like to chat to a counsellor, simply visit: Tradepost>Mxit Reach>Ask Doc
- 8Mxit’s Dating Game is age restricted to 18+ and all profiles are randomly moderated.
- 9mxchange, the classifieds service of Mxit, is moderated 24 around the clock and every post is moderated before it is posted on Mxit.
- 10Mxit’s terms and conditions state that users can only register if they are over the age of 13 years. This is to protect vulnerable users who may not be emotionally mature enough to engage with this type of platform.
- 11For further helpful tips in regards to Mxit and child safety visit www.parentscorner.org.za or download our Parent Guide in PDF format.
Teach your children to play it safe and Mxit can be a fun environment within which kids can chat, learn and let their imagination run free.Download PDF